Monday, May 12, 2014

Orange you glad it’s cake: Mandarin Orange Bundt Cake with Orange Juice Glaze

Mandarin Orange Bundt Cake
My first Mandarin cake was in Las Cruces, NM. It was a hot day in the desert and that cake was cold out of the fridge with a fresh orange taste...it was just heaven! Thankfully, the hostess did not scold me for having three pieces. My supper that evening was cake. I am not ashamed to admit it.

Her recipe had a heavier icing. Very good, very rich. I have chosen to make a simple glaze. Yes, it’s because I did not want to go to the store. I am very much a make-do sorta gal. But, over the years, I have become more of a fan of simple glazes or just dusting a cake with powdered sugar. I’m all about the flavorful cake and less about the icing.

This cake is very moist, with a hint of orange flavor. You can see little bits of mandarin orange throughout the slices. The orange juice glaze adds just enough sweetness, but doesn’t take away from the overall cake flavor.

Here is my tweaked-out version of her cake, in bundt form. You can make yours in two layers if you wish. Bundts are just easier to take places and share. I also cheat a bit and use a yellow cake mix. If you are a purist, mix up the dry ingredients for a yellow cake then add the wet ingredients I have listed.

Mandarin Orange Bundt Cake
  • 1 yellow cake mix
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 (11oz.) can mandarin orange segments


Mix all the above ingredients together with a mixer. The mandarin orange pieces with almost disappear. (My particular can of mandarin oranges was only 10.5 ounces, so I filled the measuring up to 11 oz. with orange juice.)
Pour into a greased/floured bundt pan
Bake at 350 degrees for the time specified for bundt cakes on the box. (prob. about 45 min) A toothpick inserted needs to come out clean.

Orange Juice Glaze
  • 2 TBS butter melted
  • 1/2 box powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • Orange juice


Melt butter in microwave in small mixing bowl. Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Next, slowly add orange juice to the powdered sugar mixture. Make it as runny or as thick as you wish. I have no idea exactly how much I used. Mine turned out more like a glaze instead of an icing. It’s totally your call.

Wait until the cake has cooled to apply glaze/icing. Refrigerate at least 20-minutes before serving. You can dress it up with fresh orange slices. This cake is even better the next morning with a cup of coffee!



Mandarin Orange Bundt Cake slice...Yum!

This cake kinda reminds me of one of those orange push-up ice cream pops I used to eat as a kid...but it’s cake! You could probably make it as cupcakes and just make the glaze less runny, more like a frosting.

Let me know how you do! I’m gonna create a page to post the photos you send me of your creations!

As the mixing bowl turns,
Donna ; - )

No comments:

Post a Comment