Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Lemon Squares: You had me at two sticks of butter!

Lemon Squares
Hello, my name is Donna and I have a lemon square problem. It all started in a little sandwich shop in Edmond, OK that a coworker and I visited. They had a special, half a sandwich and soup or salad or dessert. Psh, that was easy. I can't even remember the other desserts that were offered, because at that first lunch I chose their Lemon Square.

Tart, sweet, buttery. You had to watch and not exhale when you took a bite or powdered sugar would go sailing onto your lunch companion. I was hooked. Since that day if a bakery offers them in the display case, I HAVE to buy one. No hesitation. Done.

A few months ago a sweet friend I have known since we both were in summer camp shared her Lemon Square recipe. I had just moved to California and a lady at church had a bumper crop of lemons that she gave to anyone who would bag them up. Both those gifts happened in the same week. That had to be a sign. I must make Lemon Squares.

The only healthy thing in this recipe might be the fresh lemon juice. The large quantities of butter and sugar pretty much take over after that and you are to enjoy the experience and not worry about it. Either cut a smaller square or run an extra lap. Your choice. The crust is what makes this recipe even better than the store bought variety. Well, there are two sticks of butter in the crust, which I am sure is what makes all the difference.

Lemon Squares
Oven temp: 350 degrees
Bake time: 25-30 minutes

Ingredients:

  • 2 sticks butter, room temperature
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 powdered sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1/3 cup lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder


Instructions

  1. Spray a 9 X 13 baking pan, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Combine the butter, flour and powdered sugar until it is a bowl of small crumbly bits.
  3. Press the crumblies into the prepared pan.
  4. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the crust is golden around the edges.
  5. While the crust bakes beat eggs, sugar, lemon juice and baking powder together.
  6. When crust is done, pour lemon mixture over the crust and return the pan to the oven
  7. Bake for an additional 25-30 minutes, until the top begins to turn golden brown. (My oven runs hot so I put 2 cookie sheets under my baking pan when I returned it to the oven to prevent the bottom of the crust from burning.)
  8. Cool for 10 minutes, then sprinkle with powdered sugar
  9. Cool completely before slicing.
  10. Store in an airtight container, if they last that long.

Initial blending of butter into dry ingredients.
The crumbly form.
Crumbles pressed into prepared baking pan.
My favorite gadget.
All the filling ingredients.
Pouring filling over hot crust.
Cook until the filling doesn’t jiggle.
Dust with powdered sugar.
Enjoy a lemon square, or two.

I love my little yellow lemon juicer gadget. It was free in a bag of lemons I purchased at least six years ago. There is probably a much nicer, sturdier version for purchase, but I will keep using mine. 

This recipe doesn’t have a ton of ingredients and is pretty straight forward and easy. I hope you give it a go! They are lovely with a spot of tea in the afternoon!

As the mixing bowl turns,
Donna ; - )

No comments:

Post a Comment