Friday, June 20, 2014

Meltaway Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting: They disappear so fast, you’ll have to eat another!

Meltaway Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
At some point, I will need to get my sweet-tooth under control. But the other night I was sharing some of my Facebook recipes with a young baking enthusiast and now I can’t get these cookies out of my mind. It’s sad. Why can’t I feel that way about a salad? Because salads don’t have sugar and butter, that's why!

I originally saw this recipe on Pinterest. Several blog sites have posted it. I found it to be a great, shortbread type of cookie that can be tweaked to fit whatever flavor creations you would enjoy. I didn’t use anything but butter and vanilla in mine, but you could use cocoa powder, almond flavoring, minced nuts, lemon flavoring/juice, the list goes on and on.

These cookies are very deceiving. The other sites showed them as little 2-bite size cookies. So, me being me, I thought that would take way too long to bake and ice all those tiny cookies. Well, these little suckers are very rich. It’s up to you which size you choose to make them. Just thought I would warn you.

They are so light and literally melt in your mouth. So good!! I mean, a cup of butter; how can that go wrong?

They will hold up well at your outdoor events this summer. I think you could serve them without icing if you mixed a bit of cinnamon to the powder sugar used to tamp the cookies down before baking.

It’s an easy recipe. Only six ingredients! You need to give it a try. And yes, you really do use that much cornstarch.

Meltaway Cookies
Ingredients:
  • 1 Cup butter, soft
  • 3/4 Cup cornstarch
  • 3/4 Cup powdered sugar
  • 1 Cup all-purpose flour
Instructions:

  1. In a medium bowl, cream butter until fluffy. 
  2. Add cornstarch and sugar, blend well. 
  3. Beat in flour until thoroughly mixed. 
  4. Roll into small balls and drop onto a baking sheet. Flatten each ball down with the bottom of a glass. (Dip glass in powdered sugar to prevent sticking.)
  5. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes, or until edges become golden in color.
  6. Cool on wire rack, then decorate with Cream Cheese Frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe

Ingredients:
  • 3 oz. of cream cheese, softened
  • 1 Cup powdered sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla
Instructions:

  1. Mix all ingredients together. 
  2. Add food coloring or flavorings of some sort to vary the recipe if you choose. Be creative!
Meltaway Cookies, recipe makes over 2 dozen
Baby showers, wedding showers, picnics, July 4th parties, you name it, these cookies are ideal for theme based get-togethers. You can color the dough or the frosting, or both. Have fun with this one. Please send me a photo of your creations! I’d love to see it and possibly try your version!

As the mixing bowl turns,
Donna ; - ) 

1 comment:

  1. My sister put her own spin and creativity to this simple recipe. Check out the “Your Food Photos” tab at the top of the page.

    ReplyDelete